I made these delicious brownies last night and I think they may truly be the best brownies that I have ever had. The recipe is pulled straight from The Joy of Cooking. These brownies are soft and very moist and just absolutely more chocolaty then you can imagine. This is a wonderful and satisfying homemade dessert right out of the 1930’s.
Preheat your oven to 350F
Grease a aluminum foil lined 9×9 baking pan with butter
– Melt in a small sauce pan:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
– Let the Chocolate mixture cool. If you incorporate the chocolate mixture while still warm the brownies will be heavy and dry.
– Beat until light in color and foamy in texture. The egg mixture will be ready when it sticks to the beater in a fluffy mass but is not yet forming peaks.
4 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
– Gradually add and continue beating until thick.
2 cups sugar
1.5 teaspoons vanilla
– With a wooden spoon in as few strokes as possible mix in the cooled chocolate mixture. Stir until just combined.
– Mix in.
1 cup of all-purpose flour
-If desired gently stir in.
1 cup chopped pecan
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and then bake for 25 minutes cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack. makes about 30 brownies.